Sunday, May 18, 2014

you fly from me (in extravagant imagery and metaphors of love)

http://www.brynmawr.edu/library/exhibits/drama/rj.html

Another item for the list of things deleted in revision of Scenes Beyond the Western Border but appearing in Melville's Pierre. Several bits later deleted in revision are from the August 1852 installment, which appeared almost simultaneously with Pierre, first published at the end of July 1852.

Scenes Beyond the Western Border:
C. " Beauty! I worship beauty! I enjoy it in the tiny flowerit absorbs me in the bright spring landscape, where Nature has kindly played the artist, or in the sunset clouds which methinks good angels paint in heaven's own colours; it enchants me in smiling eyes and lips wreathing their divine intelligence with a halo of love!" 
F. "Bravo!" 
C. "Thus love at last, as love at firstall absorbingfeeding upon music,sporting with war;love, the link of earth to heaven,love is all in all!" 
(F. "He must have been reading Saint John!") 
C. "The beauty, then, which now soothes me momentarily, is but a sweet minister to the soulto which absence is the doomed evil, but space immaterialand leads it with a melancholy joy, to the imaginative communion of love."
F.  "When I have you committed, fairly pinned in contradiction, you fly off into a maze of extravagant fancies, where I should be lost as well if I followed." 
(August 1852)
 Melville's Pierre:
"Fie, now, Pierre; why should ye youths always swear when ye love!"

"Because in us love is profane, since it mortally reaches toward the heaven in ye!"

"There thou fly'st again, Pierre; thou art always circumventing me so...." (Pierre, 1852)

In the 1857 book version, instead of the line about flying off into extravagant fancies, the Captain's imaginary friend says this:
Friend. — You are a monomaniac, by Jove! incapable of argument, or even conversation. 
" I detest argument! it is the favorite resort of fools, to convince — themselves."

No comments:

Post a Comment