Sunday, September 23, 2012

Truth as Medusa, 1852

F.  "At last you have struck a chord that answers as to the touch of truth!  And as for love, I know none better than that of the she-bear for her cub; and that lasts, and is returned, just so long as circumstance and interest bind."

C.  "O! my friend!  Is there not then a pure soul-love, a deathless friendship, 'passing the love of women,' which all life's trials and the world's baseness cannot soil or sap? If that be truth, 'twere better never to look into her Medusa face!" 
("Scenes Beyond the Western Border," August 1852) and, with interesting, substantial revisions, in Scenes and Adventures in the Army.)

Henceforth I will know nothing but Truth; glad Truth, or sad Truth; I will know what is....Thou Black Knight, that with visor down, thus confrontest me, and mockest at me; Lo! I strike through thy helm, and will see thy face, be it Gorgon!  ... From all idols, I tear all veils; henceforth I will see the hidden things; and live right out in my own hidden life!—Now I feel that nothing but Truth can move me so. (Pierre, 1852)

No comments:

Post a Comment